Microsoft released the final version of windows 10 in 2015. Cortana is one of the biggest features of Windows 10. Cortana is the world’s first digital assistant used by the users to perform tasks through voice commands. Users have to say “Hey Cortana” to perform tasks by Cortana assistant. Microsoft does not allow users to disable Cortana from Windows 10.
But users can Disable Cortana in Windows 10 by using Group Policy and registry edit.
Methods to Guide you how to disable Cortana completely in Windows 10 Operating System:
There are two methods given below to tell you how to disable Cortana in Windows 10.
Disable Cortana by using group policy:
If you are using Windows 10 and want to disable Cortana then you can do this by using group policy in your system. To do this process, follow the steps given below:
- Press Windows + R key to open the Run box in your system.
- Then type group policy in the search bar of the Run box and press enter.
- After that, you need to click on Computer configuration appears on the left end of the panel.
- Then various option appears at the left end of the panel and you just need to click on the option Administrative Template.
- Now, click on the Windows component option that appeared under the administrative template.
- Then locate the search icon and click on it.
- Now, right-click on the option Allow Cortana shows under the setting.
- After that, you need to select Edit from the drop-down menu.
- After this, a new pop-up window will appear on the screen and you need to click on the disabled button.
- Click on an apply button after clicking on the disabled button and then click on the OK button.
If you want to activate Cortana in Windows 10 again then you need to follow the same procedure as Disable Cortana using group policy.
Disable Cortana using the registry editor:
If you are using Windows 10 and you want to disable the Cortana then you are able to access the registry editor to disable the Cortana. Follow the steps given below to disable the Cortana in Windows 10 using the registry editor:
- Firstly, Press Windows + R keys to open the Run box in your system.
- Then type Regedit in the address bar of Run box and hit enter.
- After this, a new pop-up window appears on the screen and you need to click on the computer icon.
- Then search for the folder named HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and click on it.
- After that, click on the software folder and then you can see a list of all the software installed on the system and you need to click on the policies
- After clicking on the policies folder, you need to click on the Microsoft folder.
- Now, click on the Windows search folder and move to the right panel.
- After this, click on the ‘DWORD (32-Bit) value’ under the windows search folder.
- Now, enter ‘Allow Cortana’ in the value name field and enter the value 0 in the Value data field.
- At last, click on the OK button to apply the changes.
These above two methods work for disabling Cortana. You can use these methods to know how to disable Cortana Windows 10.
Uninstall Cortana from Windows 10:
After disabling Cortana, users can able to uninstall Cortana completely. To uninstall Cortana completely, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, you have to click on the start menu and then type PowerShell in the address bar.
- After that, right-click on PowerShell and select run as an administrator.
- Then type the Get-Appxpackage | select name, PackageFullName Remove-AppxPackage Windows.Cortana_22.214.171.124_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy command and press enter.
- Cortana is successfully uninstalled from your system.
After uninstalling the Cortana from your system, you cannot be able to access Cortana in the future.